Thursday, September 13, 2007

Control the Drug Companies

I just finished listening to the candidates for president in 2008 speak about national health care. Some of them seemed to really want to help those who need help. Most of them still linked our future health care to some form of private alliance with an insurance company. Few of them spoke of the role that drug companies take in our health care needs. Even if we have national health care, this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm appalled by the cost of drugs. I can't believe that we don't have a major uprising because of it. I'm required to use three DROPS of medication for my eyes, daily to ensure that I won't go blind. Between me and the insurance company, we pay about three dollars a day for these THREE DROPS. 98% of the solution is distilled water. Am I just strange, or isn't this just a little bit unreasonable? If the whole drop were really medicine------Whew! Let's face it. There'd be a lot more blind people in the world. If there's anyone in the stratosphere who can justify this kind of nonsense, I would love to hear from them. In the meantime, I hope that you aren't one of those who can't have medicine because the drug companies need to have wealthier CEO's.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My elderly mother is on Rx assistance. Recently Merck (whose motto is "Where patients come first"), cut out their program for the elderly on Rx assistance. Nice people, Uh?

Dr Thunder said...

No, Cheryl.
People who are willing to deprive others of assistance are definitely not nice. There are so many things in our health system that are broken. I often wonder why people willingly pay taxes for their legislators to have programs that they don't personally, have. Any changes that take place are going to require involvement of the people.

Anonymous said...

Well said.